Helping one of Britain’s most loved financial brands navigate the impact of COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic meant that many of Nationwide’s members were suddenly plunged into financial difficulty, and social distancing measures meant that branches had to close, leaving many struggling.
We advised Nationwide’s communications and marketing teams throughout the pandemic to help them clearly and succinctly communicate key messages to their Members, with a particular focus on aiding those in financial difficulty.
Who you are is as important as what you do
Nationwide needed to demonstrate that a deep commitment to help its Members and the wider community was the driving force behind business critical decisions. Changing opening hours, offering mortgage holidays and championing the cause of renters during the pandemic were all framed by this mission.
Arguments are never won, outcomes are
Nationwide also tackled the pressures on retail workers throughout the pandemic, supporting the #TogetherAgainstHate campaign to highlight abuse.
- Advised on key product changes and media strategies to ensure that those most financially vulnerable were protected and reassured effectively
- Worked closely with the communications teams to ensure messaging and responses were aligned across all of Nationwide’s channels, from internal staff engagement through to external digital channels
- Briefed and formed key messaging documents with C-Suite members to allow them to convey crucial messages with empathy and clarity
Nationwide’s communications team scored the highest in an independent survey which asked consumers which bank’s communications had instilled trust most during the pandemic
- Series of opinion articles from C-Suite members in core media titles, showing empathy and practical solutions
- Engagement with key political stakeholders on crucial support packages to financially vulnerable members
- Increased levels of brand trust and affinity